What constitutes suitable accommodation often depends on the length of your stay in Hjørring.

There are properties to suit all tastes – properties in the old parts of the towns, properties with views, centrally located properties and properties in the smaller towns surrounding Hjørring.

Below, we have gathered information about the different options for housing in Hjørring Municipality.

Temporary Accommodation

If you are only in Hjørring Municipality for a short period, temporary accommodation might be the answer for you.

What constitutes suitable accommodation often depends on the length of your stay in Hjørring. If you are only in Hjørring for a short period of time or if you need temporary accommodation while looking for a permanent place to live, you can rent a room at one of the Bed and Breakfasts in the municipality.

Rented Accommodation

There are rented properties to suit all tastes – properties in the old parts of the towns, properties with views, centrally located properties and properties in the smaller towns surrounding Hjørring.

Most housing in Hjørring Municipality consists of multi-storey apartments, terraced houses or detached houses. Housing comprises rented accommodation, cooperative housing and owner-occupied housing. The standard of housing in Hjørring Municipality is generally very high. Many of the older properties have been fully renovated in recent years and there are houses and flats of all shapes and sizes. Thus, there are rented properties to match all requirements – whether it is for single people, couples or families and for people of all ages.

The majority of rented accommodation is to be found in multi-storey buildings. Many are built in large blocks of flats grouped together in urban areas in the major cities. It is also possible to rent houses at a fair price. 

In Hjørring Municipality the vast majority of the apartments is unfurnished.

Renting an Apartment

Tenancy Agreement

Rent Subsidy

Buying Property

If you do not reside in Denmark or have not previously lived in the country for a minimum of five years, you will need permission from the Ministry of Justice to purchase an owner-occupied home. You must send an application to the Ministry of Justice, enclosing information about the property you wish to purchase together with a copy of your residence permit. You can expect to be granted permission if you intend to use the property as your permanent residence. If you are an EU citizen, you can purchase your owner-occupied property without permission from the Ministry of Justice if you intend to use the property as your permanent residence.

Most owner-occupied properties are sold through an estate agent. Check ads in the newspapers, on the Internet, or check with an estate agent in the area where you intend to buy the property.

Click here for a list of Real Estate Agents in Hjørring Municipality.

Buying Furniture

Below we have listed some of the different options that you have for buying furniture. We are fully aware that the list is not complete – and therefore if you have tips for shops that we did not mention below, please let us know in the facebook group “Hjørring Internationals”.

Buying Furniture in Hjørring Municipality.

TV, Radio and PC (Media license)

All citizens aged 18 and over that own an electronic device such as a smartphone, tablet, TV, Radio or PC are required by law to pay for a media license.

One license covers the entire household irrespective of the number of licensable devices in the house.

The media license system is administered by ‘Danmarks Radio’ and you must apply for a license within the first 14 days of having acquired a licensable device. You can read more about media license here.

Most people living in rented accommodation will find that their landlord provides cable TV and broadband, etc. You can choose from programme packages available from the provider in question – you can obtain a programme guide from your landlord. If you want to watch programmes from your home country, the provider will normally offer a wide range of packages via a selector.

If you are not able to watch programmes from your home country via a selector or if you live in an outlying area or in a property without cable TV, discuss the option of putting up a satellite dish with your landlord.


In addition to rent, loan or mortgage payment, you will have to pay for electricity, heating and water.

You pay for your utilities according to the amount you use. There are meters on the property. Electricity is supplied by a private electricity company, while heating comes from a municipal or private heating plant. Large residential buildings may have their own heating plant. If you own your home, you will normally pay your water bill together with your property tax.

In Denmark, electricity, water and heating are expensive. This is because society wants to limit energy consumption in order to protect the environment.

Household Waste

Your domestic waste must be separated into ordinary household waste and other kind of waste such as paper, glass, chemical waste, electronics, iron, metal, building material and garden waste.

Your household garbage is collected every week, normally on a fixed day between Monday and Friday.

It is required that you have an approved garbage container (you can buy one via the municipality, but most properties already have one when you move in). The garbage collectors will provide the bags for your container.

In Denmark, most bottles and cans that you buy are part of the Danish deposit and return system. You can return these bottles and cans at any supermarket and get your deposit back. Bottles and glass that are not included in the deposit and return system can be recycled by depositing them in the designated glass recycling stations, placed at different locations around the city.

Chemical waste, electronics, iron, metal, building material and garden waste must be taken to one of the recycling centres. You can find the adresses of the recycling centres here.

The Danish Deposit System

Denmark has a deposit system for plastic and glass bottles and aluminium drinks cans.

Each time you buy a drink in a supermarket or local store you will be charged with a small deposit, ranging from DKK 1 for a small can and up to 3 DKK for a 1,5L plastic bottle.

The bottles and cans that are included in the deposit system will be marked with a small logo, saying “Pant”.

You can return the bottles and cans using the automated bottle banks (Flaskeautomater). Please bring the printed ticked to the checkout at the supermarket.

Removal of Snow

The municipality is responsible for clearing the public roads and bike lanes in the City, and the State is responsible for clearing of the highways and bigger roads in Denmark.

If you own or rent a house, you are required to clear snow from your public sidewalk in front of your house, as well as a pathway on your property to your mailbox. As a ground rule it is your responsibility if anybody gets injured at your property because snow or ice has not been properly removed.

Please note that the sidewalk must be cleared in such a width that pedestrians can pass unrestricted. Remember that pedestrians with prams or walkers need more than a narrow path in order to pass. You can put the snow piles on the remaining part of the sidewalk or on the nearest part of the road.

Both the postman and the waste collectors can also refuse to carry out their jobs if they risk life and limbs because of a snow or ice-covered property.

The rules say that the property owner has to clear the pavement, etc. as soon as possible and secure against ice by spreading road salt or gravel as soon as it gets icy. The pavement should be kept clear between 7.00-22.00, but you do not need to rush home and clear the pavement from snow and ice if you are at work – just remember to do it before you leave in the morning. Sundays, you can sleep a bit longer as you do not have to remove the snow until 8.00.

Moving Out

When moving out of a rented apartment, please refer to your tenancy agreement for the conditions for terminating your tenancy.

Your tenancy agreement will lay down the conditions for terminating your tenancy. You will normally have to give three months notice - it is always a good idea to give your notice in writing.

A mutual inspection is normal procedure. Read the electricity, water and heating metres and send the readings to your utility suppliers or your landlord.

All municipal authorities have a registry of residents. If you move, you must therefore inform your local Citizens' Service to inform them of your change of adress. This must be done no later than five days after moving. You can do this electronically by logging onto www.borger.dk. You can also obtain a special folder from your local post office containing all the necessary papers.