Move to Hjørring Municipality

What formalities are advisable for you to have completed before arrival to Denmark?

Before you move to Denmark and to Hjørring Municipatility, there are a number of formalities that would be advisable for you to have completed before you arrive and a number of formalities that you need to sort out in order for you to take up residence in Denmark legally.

First of all you must obtain a residence and work permit. The registration procedure differs depending on where you come from and your reason for staying in Denmark. It is important that you register in the right sequence and at the right place.

If you are commuting to work from another country or have not taken up permanent residence in Denmark, special rules apply. 

On the following pages you can see what procedure is required for you.

Nordic Citizens

Citizens of Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden are free to enter, reside, study and work in Denmark.

Citizens of Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden do not need a visa, residence or work permit.

If you are going to stay in Hjørring Municipality for more than 6 months, you need to register with the municipality. You can read more about this here

Bringing your family
If your family members are Nordic Citizens, they do not need to apply for family reunification. They can enter and reside in Denmark in accordance with the regulations for Nordic Citizens.

If your family members are EU/EEA Citizens, they have to apply for a proof of registration or residence card under the EU regulations. You can learn more about the rules for EU/EEA Citizens here or you can contact the Regional State Administration for additional information.

If your family members come from third countries, they must apply for a residence permit under the regulations of the Danish Aliens Act. The Immigration Service can provide you with additional information.

Read more about the requirements for family reunification

EU and EEA Citizens

Citizens from the EU and EEA (Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein) and Switzerland.

As an EU citizen you may freely enter Denmark and remain in the country for up to 3 months without an EU residence document (registration certificate). If you are a job-seeker, you may reside in Denmark for up to 6 months without a registration certificate. The periods of 3 and 6 months are calculated from the date of entry.

If you expect that your stay in Denmark will last more than 3 months, you have to apply for an EU Registration Certificate before the expiry of the three months. An EU registration certificate is your proof that as an EU citizen - or as family member of an EU citizen - you have a right to reside in Denmark. The certificate is not issued for a specific duration and will remain valid for as long as the conditions on which it was issued continue to apply.

We recommend that you apply for the EU Registration Certificate during the opening hours of the 'International Citizens Service' in Aalborg. All the authorities a foreign employee typically needs to contact are represented at International Citizen Service in Aalborg. This means that besides applying for your registration certificate, you can apply for your CPR-number and tax card. You can also have a talk with WorkinDenmark about the living and working conditions in Denmark, finding a job for your partner, student jobs, Danish driver's license and much more. 

Read more about the EU Registration Certificate

Information about the 'International Citizens Service'

Third Country Citizens

As a citizen of a non-Nordic/EU/EEA country, as a general rule, you must hold a residence and work permit in order to reside and work in Denmark.

Whether you can obtain a residence and work permit depends first and foremost on your qualifications. A number of schemes have been designed in order to make it possible for highly qualified professionals to get a residence and work permit in Denmark. You can find further information about these schemes by following the link below.

Applications for residence permits must normally be handed in to a Danish Representative Office in your country of origin or the country you have been living for the last three months (a Danish representative office is an embassy or a consulate general in your home country).

However, in certain cases applications may or must be initiated in Denmark. Below you can find detailed information on applying for work and residence permits, as well as links to the necessary forms to be used.

How to apply for a Residence Permit

Cross-border Commuters

Cross-border commuters (also known as frontier workers) are foreign workers who work in Denmark, but keep their permanent residence in their home country and return to their permanent residence on a daily or weekly basis.

If you are working in Denmark for a short period of time, e.g. on a contract, and go home at weekends, you do not have to apply for an EU registration certificate or a residence permit.

Instead you must register with the Danish Tax Authorities and they will issue you with a so-called ‘taxed at the source’ civil registration number (a tax ‘CPR’ number).

As a Cross-border commuter you can have a special health card issued, which gives you the right for free health care in Denmark. Please note that you have to apply for the 'Taxed at the Source'-Civil Registration Number before you apply for the special health care card.

Below you can find further information about the special conditions applying for cross-border commuters.

Further information for Cross-Border Commuters

International Citizen Service

Get off to a good start in Denmark – all the service you need in one place

There are many things to do when you arrive in Denmark as a foreign employee or job seeker. The contact with the Danish authorities must therefore be as easy as possible for the foreign employee or job seeker and for the Danish companies that employ foreign employees.

At International Citizen Service foreign employees or job seekers can apply for and get a registration certificate for EU citizens and non EU citizens can apply for a residence permit and get a tax card.

All the authorities a foreign employee typically needs to contact are represented at International Citizen Service in Aalborg. As a citzen in Hjørring Municipality you do however need to contact your local Citizens Service in order to have a CPR-number issued.

Further information about International Citizens Service here.